Welcome from the Heads of School
Welcome to Bellevue Children’s Academy!
We are pleased to provide a private education to Bellevue and the greater eastside community for the past 20 years. Beginning as a small afterschool program, BCA has grown to serve approximately 700 students, Preschool through 4th grade, along with our 5-12th grade program at Willows Preparatory School® (WPS).
Through classic BCA education, students will experience dedicated teachers, small class sizes and rigorous academics. To compliment this, BCA also believes in providing our students with a well-rounded education offering specialist classes, and socio-emotional learning to our students. Children who attend BCA participate in a curriculum that honors the whole child.
In 2015, BCA began the journey to become an International Baccalaureate® (IB) World School. Becoming an authorized IB Primary Years Programme School in 2016, students at BCA participate in inquiry-based learning that develops their collaboration and critical thinking skills. The IB PYP provides a framework for learning that encourages students to become life-long learners and leaders in the community.
We look forward to working with you and your children, helping them to achieve their goals, and beginning their path to life-long learning.
Head of BCA Pre-Primary
Head of BCA Primary
Bellevue Children’s Academy® (BCA®) was started as a tutoring center in 1992 by Yuka Shimizu. The success of the tutoring center led to the opening of BCA® in September 1999 with nine students. By 2013 the school occupied three campuses in Bellevue, offering programs for Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8. In early 2014, Bellevue Children’s Academy purchased the 15-acre site of Washington Cathedral Church in nearby Redmond. BCA relocated the middle school to the new site and was branded Willows Preparatory School (WPS®). The popularity of the middle school led to the development of a high school on the same campus. WPS’s first graduating class will be in 2023! In fall 2022, we are happy to announce the opening of our new BCA Preschool at our expanded Satellite campus.
In 2015, BCA® began working to have International Baccalaureate® (IB) accreditation. We are now accredited for Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme, and Diploma Years Programme.
BCA is a proud member of the International Schools Partnership® (ISP), a consortium of 50 international schools of choice recognized across local communities and the global education sector for amazing learning, ambition, and growth.
Why choose BCA?
- Inquiry-Based Learning
- Fostering curiosity and developing the skills needed to acquire knowledge both inside and outside the classroom
- Depth vs Acceleration
- Beyond pure memorization of facts into understanding and application
- Academic Excellence
- Advanced robust curriculum that inspires students to thrive
- World Class Education through our International Baccalaureate World School Accreditation:
- Promoting a global perspective through a collaborative and rigorous learning environment using the IB framework
- Small Class Sizes: 10-12 students per class (average class size)
- Nurturing and student-centered classroom environments
- Experiential Learning
- Wide range of field trips and school visits enhance our curriculum
- Specialist Classes: Art, Computer/Design, Drama, Music, Physical Education, and Spanish
- Creating a well-rounded learning experience
- Extended Care Programs
- Varied after school programs designed to extend learning beyond the school day
Bellevue Children’s Academy® is comprised of four campuses:
- Satellite 1 Campus – Pre-Kindergarten
- Satellite 2 Campus – Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten
- BCA1 Campus- Kindergarten and 1st grade
- BCA2 Campus- 2nd through 4th grade
- Willows Preparatory School (WPS®) – 5th through 12th grade
- Willows Pre-Prep for 4-5 years old