Welcome from the Heads of School
Welcome to Bellevue Children’s Academy!
We are pleased to provide a private education to Bellevue and the greater eastside community for the past 20 years. Beginning as a small afterschool program, BCA has grown to serve approximately 600 students, Pre-K through 4th grade, along with our 5-12th grade program at Willows Preparatory School® (WPS).
Through classic BCA education, students will experience dedicated teachers, small class sizes and rigorous academics. To compliment this, BCA also believes in providing our students with a well-rounded education offering specialist classes, and socio-emotional learning to our students. Children who attend BCA participate in a curriculum that honors the whole child.
In 2015, BCA began the journey to become an International Baccalaureate® (IB) World School. Becoming an authorized IB Primary Years Programme School in 2016, students at BCA participate in inquiry-based learning that develops their collaboration and critical thinking skills. The IB PYP provides a framework for learning that encourages students to become life-long learners and leaders in the community.
We look forward to working with you and your children, helping them to achieve their goals, and beginning their path to life-long learning.
Head of BCA Pre-K
Head of BCA Primary
Bellevue Children’s Academy® (BCA®) was started as a tutoring center in 1992 by Yuka Shimizu. The success of the tutoring center led to the opening of BCA® in September 1999 with nine students. By 2013 the school occupied three campuses in Bellevue, offering programs for Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8. In early 2014, Bellevue Children’s Academy purchased the 15-acre site of Washington Cathedral Church in nearby Redmond. BCA relocated the middle school to the new site and was branded Willows Preparatory School (WPS®). The popularity of the middle school led to the development of a high school on the same campus. WPS’s first graduating class will be in 2023!
In 2015, BCA® began working to have International Baccalaureate® (IB) accreditation. We are now accredited for Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme, and Diploma Years Programme.
BCA is a proud member of the International Schools Partnership® (ISP), a consortium of 50 international schools of choice recognized across local communities and the global education sector for amazing learning, ambition, and growth.
Why choose BCA?
- Inquiry-Based Learning
- Fostering curiosity and developing the skills needed to acquire knowledge both inside and outside the classroom
- Depth vs Acceleration
- Beyond pure memorization of facts into understanding and application
- Academic Excellence
- Advanced robust curriculum that inspires students to thrive
- World Class Education through our International Baccalaureate World School Accreditation:
- Promoting a global perspective through a collaborative and rigorous learning environment using the IB framework
- Small Class Sizes: 10-12 students per class (average class size)
- Nurturing and student-centered classroom environments
- Experiential Learning
- Wide range of field trips and school visits enhance our curriculum
- Specialist Classes: Art, Computer/Design, Drama, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, LEGO Education
- Creating a well-rounded learning experience
- Extended Care Programs
- Varied after school programs designed to extend learning beyond the school day
Bellevue Children’s Academy® is comprised of four campuses:
- Satellite Campus- Pre-kindergarten
- BCA1 Campus- Kindergarten, 1st grade and Bilingual Japanese Kindergarten Program
- BCA2 Campus- 2nd through 4th grade
- Willows Preparatory School (WPS®)- 5th through 12th grade
- Willows Pre-Prep for 4-5 years old